https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Monday, September 19, 2011

At-Home Con, Post 2

I already posted about "At-Home Con 2011," but the closer it gets, the more I have to do and the more it's on my mind, so here is yet another post on how I'm planning this weekend gaming marathon. The idea to run a convention-themed weekend party was none too original, as the planning and preparation for both are so similar and the major theme is gaming (and drinking) all weekend.

I have everything we need right here, including the space, tables, and requisite comics and games. Like I said before, my basement really is setup like an alley on one side, with rows of comics and shelves of games creating an aisle on one side. Beyond that is a picnic table covered in assorted odds and ends that can easily be cleaned-off for a night of gaming, however there are only going to be a handful of people here, so I decided to do everything upstairs. I could also fill the tub with ice and drinks downstairs, while I can't upstairs (due to a leaky faucet), but that's not really a problem.

I'm honestly even considering making badges, if I can find a template for them somewhere (which I'm pretty sure I can). But I have my hands full just cleaning and organizing the place for company - after all, this isn't a commercial space that's kept clean and clear by a regular crew throughout the year. If only...

I am printing-out character sheets for Dark Conspiracy, and they already have their AD&D characters created. They'll just have to transfer them to character sheets I have on-hand here at the house once they arrive if they haven't already done so. We are also going to playtest the Simple And Free Engine, which used to be on the site and was removed simply because I had no time to further develop it and no way to playtest it. That may be all the gaming we'll have time for, depending on the length of the sessions (which I expect to be greater than four hours).

I am also putting together a movie and TV series list, just like a con suite would have. I'll have food and snacks in serving dishes around the living room, as well as on the bar - again, just like your average con suite. I may even put together attendee packages with free comics, programs, and such.

I know this is silly, but like I said before, I really miss the conventions we went to as kids. They were a lot of fun, free from all the fanfare of celebrities and movie premieres and things - just a bunch of hardcore gaming nerds and comics freaks getting together to do what we love doing. Blue mead that would knock you on your ass from the SCA cats; NOT smoking weed in con-members' suites; prowling through Dealers' Alley just to kill some time and window shop; comparing collections with people you only see once a year; reveling in friends' new purchases and showing-off your own... NOT smoking weed, I said.

So we may not need any steenking badges, but we may get some anyway.

© C Harris Lynn, 2011

No comments: