https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Thursday, October 09, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh Dang

I have been watching Yu-Gi-Oh for a few hours now, completely by accident. I started out watching Family Guy then Hulu+ autoplay landed on Yu-Gi-Oh. Serendipitously, I was working on the gaming section of our fair site and kept noticing tabletop card game terms and rules - like, entire discussions about decks and cards.

It seems so forced, so blissfully unaware of its own lack of creativity. I mean, this is literally a cartoon based on a card game - and the entire action is the card game! It's kind of like if G.I. Joe was a cartoon about the soldiers playing "war" with toy soldiers. Make no mistake: I realize this is meant to sell kids the card game and I'm not really offended by that. I ate almost an entire box of Count Chocula the other night because it's mostly sold seasonally now and I have a fondness for it from childhood, as it was sold to me by lovable cartoon characters during my weekly meeting at the TV for Saturday Morning Cartoons, which they no longer show.

Still, even the Diabeetus-inducing cereal commercials had more personality, more charm, and more appeal than watching cartoon characters play a card game in real-time.

© The Weirding, 2014

No comments: