https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Friday, April 20, 2007

Superhero TV

Look, Up in the Sky, It's Superman is a Biography special whose virtues I extolled in this very blog several months back, when I first saw it. This A&E special is basically an advertisement for the new Superman film (Superman Returns); the entire last half-hour is dedicated to hyping it, with spliced interviews with Bryan Singer and screenwriters, as well as clips from the film and discussion of the changes made in order to make the character and story "relevant" to a new generation.

The movie didn't exactly flop, but it didn't do as well as expected. Nevertheless, I don't want to sell this special short. A two-hour long special, the last half-hour is certainly forgivable. In fact, it really isn't bad (I haven't seen the movie yet) but it does come across as very obviously hype. Still, after the first hour and a half, you don't mind it.

The first 75% of the show really goes in-depth as to the history and origin of the character, focusing largely on his cinematic incarnations (as well as mentioning the short-running Broadway musical), and several of the creators and artists involved in those. It's smart, interesting, and pretty thorough.

If I'd known they were running it today, I'd have posted about it earlier. As it was, I woke up and it was already on, so I only caught the last hour and some-odd minutes of it myself.

Might as well flip the dial on over to Sci-Fi tonight and break it off. The only other thing on worth watching is BBCA's Clatterford, with Jennifer Saunders (Absolutely Fabulous); NBC's Raines, with Jeff Goldblum, isn't bad, but it isn't all that good, either (mundane cop drama with a paranormal-cum-psychological twist). Anyway, Sci-Fi's got Heroes at 6:00 (against ABC Family's Smallville- a no-brainer for me), then both Stargates - which, again, I just never got into and have somehow managed to talk to just about every one of its fans in my region this past week - then a new installment of Painkiller Jane. In fact, the pilot is being rerun in just about 10 minutes.

Other than that, this is a perfect night to go out or stay in and get loaded. Damn cable's gotten to where they don't show anything on the weekends and I've got something like 300-400 channels (when you include the music ones)! Almost makes me want to take up an outside hobby.

Naaaah.

No comments: