https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Boxes and Boxes of Comics

I have my comics orders set to ship after $100. This used to be weekly - if you'll remember the crankiness inspired by Siege - but because I got tired of the gimmicks and cash-sucking bullshit the publishers keep playing, it's now more like once every two or three months. For that reason, I am once again behind the times on my comics reading. (This is also why I avoid other comics blogs - I hate spoilers.)

I have had to fashion boxes from duct tape just to contain all my new comics, but I am slowly getting through them. Not reading them, mind you, just organizing them so that I can read them at some point. It's a really big job.

This is part of the fun of collecting though. Going through my comics, seeing what I have, deciding which box they are best suited for, and bagging and boarding them - this is part of the fun! However, because comic books are worth so little these days thanks to the publishers' success at devaluing them (so they can collect them into TPB instead), it's less fun than it is a job. And I, like most people, don't enjoy working as much as I enjoy things like collecting comic books.

I literally just gave-up on the X-titles. There were so many "Part 3 of 6" -type situations involving so many titles that there was no way to keep them in any semblance of order, so I just started dumping them into boxes. I have about four of them now - four boxes of nothing but unorganized X-titles I will never read. After 20+ years of collecting them, I canceled all my X-subscriptions and will not be returning.

I receive my comics already bagged. They are then placed in magazine bags according to date of shipment, so all my comics from week 2 are in the same large bag. I remove them all, tape them up, and store them singly. The exception is limited series, which I bag singly then bag into the larger carriers and tape together.

I have also used duct tape to create storage boxes from the shipping boxes. This has helped immensely and since all the comics are bagged singly, I'm not worried about damage from the tape.

Anyway, I'm literally up to my neck in comics right now, and if I come across anything really fun or interesting, I'll let you know.

© C Harris Lynn, 2011

No comments: