https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Monday, July 23, 2007

Fantastic Four & Power Pack #1 - A Review

I always loved Power Pack. I really didn’t know much about them until the seminal Mutant Massacre, but once I was introduced to them through the pages of The Uncanny X-Men, I sought out some back issues and really, really enjoyed them. Power Pack is a small foursome of young, pre-adolescent and teen siblings, who were given special powers by a horse-like alien named Whitey. Along their way, they met up with one Franklin Richards, son of Fantastic Four couple, Sue and Reed Richards.

That’s when the fun really began.

Unfortunately, Power Pack was canceled many, many years ago and have just now returned to active duty in Marvel's All Ages Fantastic Four & Power Pack 4-issue mini-series. I have only received the first issue and I can safely say it is perfect for all ages, from the very young to at least, oh, say... 32 - just to throw a number out there at random ( -kaff- ).

The artwork is very cartoonish and highly stylized, but not crude or childish and has a high and ageless appeal. The writing is a bit on the youngster side, but it definitely works. It’s been so long since I was young enough to appreciate classic comic book writing that I find it clunky, but it has that distinctive ring that reminds me of comic books when I was growing up, so I know that young comics fans get it better than I do.

I didn’t know that calling a comic book “fun” would kill it, so I won’t use that term, but Fantastic Four and Power Pack is definitely entertaining. And there’s no Whitey (damn the man!).

No comments: