https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Slow, Cold Saturday - Last.FM

Ah, Saturdays - nothing on TV, readers plummet, not much news to report... Saturdays.

This one happens to be a cold one, too. It's freezing outside - literally (far below 32ยบ) - and I just managed to get up and start going. I am on my first cup of coffee and like my fourth cigarette. What? It's how I measure how awake I am.

This week, I came across an application I was unaware of and have since fallen in love with completely. It isn't exactly "new" and many before me have extolled its virtues, but seeing as how my experience with it has been nothing less than thoroughly satisfying and I talked about online radio before, I thought I would tell you about Last.FM.

Where many online radio stations claim to be customizable and "learn" your musical preferences, Last.FM actually delivers. I listen to a wide range of music - and I don't say that in the, "Well, I listen to a little bit of everything - I am very worldly and open-minded" way that most do; my favorite artists include Suffocation, Deicide, Ministry, Mindless Self Indulgence, Fiona Apple, Beastie Boys, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Clutch, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Morbid Angel, Alanis Morrissette... a very wide range, indeed! Up to now, the only playlists with which I was ever truly satisfied were those I created myself from tracks I have, of course the problem with that is that I rarely get to hear new music. Last.FM cures all of that!

Although they sometimes miss when bands from different genres have the same name, I have even heard some things from artists and genres I never would have known to try because of this! One favorite band of mine is a death metal outfit called Nile and there is apparently a technotronic outfit from Norway or Sweden or something with the same name that sometimes gets mixed into my playlist and I actually dig them!

While typing this, I got a pop-up screen and it's the first I have ever gotten. I just installed my HP printer and it had an entire CD full of useless shit, so it could be from that, but I am going to run SpyBot and AdAware real quick and see if it detects my Last.FM software and let you know from there...

That would really suck because I love this site and the whole thing, but I can't put-up with pop-ups bumping into me while I'm working and surfing and etc.

1 comment:

Manodogs said...

Well, SpyBot found 48 problems and fixed them all and Last.FM is still playing, so I guess that wasn't the problem (hopefully).

I would have really hated to lose it! Since I just signed-up the other day and am still feeling things out, I'll post more about it when I am more familiar with it.