https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Monday, June 25, 2007

Beware New Phone Scam!

I received this e-mail a few days ago, telling me about a new phone scam that I thought everyone should be made aware of, but I wasn't sure of the veracity. You know how things get started online; I remember years ago, the "Big Scare" was that they were trying to charge people for sending e-mails. Every few months, someone would send me that e-mail, with a loooooong list of CC'ed recipients, and I'd have to respond and tell them it was nothing more than a rumor. So this time, I decided to wait it out, but - from everything I can come across - this one seems to be a legitimate scam.

Never dial area codes 809, 284, or 876!

The scam works thusly: someone calls and leaves a message, telling you they are in trouble, arrested, someone has died - whatever it takes to make you think it's urgent - or simply says something to the effect of, "Hi, it's [so-and-so] and I was just calling to let you know things are fine or we're all set and ready to go or we'll see you this weekend or whatever. Just give me a call when you get in." When you call, you will get a recorded message, but even if you speak to someone, they will do whatever they can to keep you on the line for as long as possible.

The thing is, these area codes are located in the Bahamas and the per-minute rates are absolutely staggering. I've seen some different figures and some of them are pretty ludicrous, but whatever the rates are, they are seriously high. Your local phone company will not be able to take them off, claiming they are only the carrier and you need to contact a foreign phone company. Of course, the foreign phone company will claim it is all legal and since you made the call, you have to pay for it.

As I said, I'm no expert and if you fear this happening, you definitely need to contact someone at your phone company or long-distance carrier for more information, but it appears this is a real scam and I thought everyone should hear about it.

No comments: