https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Quick Entertainment Bits

Michael Rosenbaum has said that next season's Smallville may be his last as Lex Luthor. Rosenbaum is a very gifted actor and his portrayal of Luthor is one of the show's strengths. Of course, it doesn't hinge on that alone and the show will definitely be good with or without him, but it's great with him. Smallville is a kick-ass show all the way around and you can check out the new episodes Thursdays (tonight) at 7:00 CST on CW and reruns from all the past seasons on ABC Family weekdays at 6:00 PM CST.

They are saying there will be a 2009 release for The Hobbit, even though there is no script and no director. I tried to read The Hobbit three different times and could never get through it. I also tried reading LotR and had the same experience. Sorry, but it's just not that good. 


The writing is beautiful but tiresome, and the story is cliché. I realize that it's clichéd because it was among the first and so many others have used it since -- meaning to say that it wasn't clichéd at the time -- but by the time I was born, it just was. I've never watched any of the films because they're too long and I just never got into the story, anyway. Hobbits and halflings are dorky. 

If you want a good fantasy trilogy, pick up Magic Kingdom for Sale... Sold and go from there.

5 comments:

Mayren said...

I would call you a heretic and a blasphemer but you obviously already know that cutting LoTR down is your death sentence right?

I bet you hate pixies too.
I bet you keep a spray can around just to kill the pixies who stray too close to your Labyrinth you keep in the back yard.

For shame.

catlady said...

What Myren said - and then some. Ach!!!

Fortunately, you have other redeeming qualities. If anyone else had said LOTR is "just not that good", well, I'm afraid I'd have to assume that they were just not that smart. I know you're smart and I'm willing to concede that LOTR and The Hobbit just aren't your thing - but I'll never concede that they are "just not that good". They are brilliant, they show man's worst side and his best side and all the areas in between. They have magic. Reading them gives you the desire and the means to search for the magic in your own world. And the magic is there - you just have to nutrure it, foster it and give it room to grow.

Sheesh! Where'd all that mushy shit come from?

Anyway...you heathen!

Signed,
Pussy Willow, aka Catlady, aka Kathyr

Manodogs said...

Pixies and Halflings... oh my!

You have to remember that I'm fairly young as far as all this goes. I got into D&D long before I even knew who Tolkien was. That's why I say it was cliched by the time I got around to it - when you consider it, literally all the fantasy I was exposed to as a child was based on Tolkien, so by the time I got around to reading Tolkien, I'd already heard it all a billion times before.

And for those who don't know, the first 15-20 pages of The Hobbit describes Bilbo Baggins', or whoever's, door! The entire first chapter of Two Tower (or one of them) describes the armies' maneuvers, as in, "...this troop of X calvary went 10 degrees to the North, around the Mountain of Purple Prose, beneath a sun of roses which sang like Pixies in a Labyrinth. Behind them came X troops of rangers who circled the Mountain of Blathering, which lay 15 degrees to the West of the Mountain of Purple Prose, at a 5 degree angle concordant to the planet of Bo-Ring, only after the gentle mists of a cool night had wafted slowly down on 108957879 more adjectives, adverbs, and modifiers..."

Heh. Sorry.

You want a killer fantasy series, look no further than the Chronicles of Amber. And, like I said, Brooks' Wizard at Large series is great, too.

Mayren said...

i knew it - you like to squish pixies. You're such a hater.

Manodogs said...

The only thing I know from pixies is that line from the Christmas movie: "Out you pixies go, tru da do' or tru da window!"

That line doesn't go over well with most pixies, though...