https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Eureka Season 2 Premiere - A Review


[SPOILERS ALERT]

Well, tonight was the 2nd-season premiere of Sci-Fi’s hit show, Eureka. Now, this is Sci-Fi’s highest-rated show ever - and for good reason. Eureka is a damn good show - quirky, funny, sci-fi, but not too heavy in any direction. That being said, it is not unbalanced or fumbling; it blends these elements as well as any major network classic show to which it is often compared, such as Northern Exposure or Ed.

This season began with a recap of the events that happened last season then picked up basically right where it left off. I was really impressed, not only that it kept that level of continuity, but also that it managed to keep the level of quality it had established the first go-round. Further, I like that it now has a strong history on which it can draw and that it does exactly that. The characters have matured and still remain true to their established personalities. In fact, the entire show seems to have somehow picked up the ball and raised its game.

As the promos promised, it’s the same show with “bigger secrets,” and many hints that what we see this week will be important sometime down the road. I know how rabid Grey’s Anatomy fans are, so I hesitate to make the comparison, but the two shows really have a lot in common and Eureka seems to be moving toward becoming that sort of program: one where the history of both the show itself, as well as the characters, comes to bear on every episode and where the humor is comedic effect to offset the larger drama going on. In the first season, it seemed to go back and forth.

I’m particularly interested to see how Henry is going to handle what he has done. I have to admit, I was really shocked by that development - shocked and saddened, actually. Henry is such a good character and I really feel bad for him after what happened to Kim and Carter’s stopping him from making the same mistake twice. But that’s pretty realistic, when you get right down to it, and definitely increases my interest in the show. I really hope Henry doesn’t flip-out and become an enemy or anything, but it seems like things are being set up to go just that way. We’ll see.

Fantastic opening that not only satisfied but actually increased my interest. I was already champing at the bit for its return, but now I’m even more anxious to see where it leads.


No comments: