https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Oh, Deer!

So I was coming home the other night from the store at about 2 in the morning. I’d forgotten to get cigarettes and I wasn’t sleeping, so I had to run into town. As I’m coming down the road through the little town square there - only doing about 30-40, thankfully - a HUGE deer ran right out in front of me. I threw on the brakes and managed to squeal to a halt all of three inches in front of it. I was slightly shaken but otherwise okay.

Next day, my neighbor came over and her truck has a flat and it lost one of the lugnuts or whatever, so she hasn’t been able to fix it yet. She was sick and needed to get to the doctor’s and drugstore. We got her carseat out for the baby and go through all of that, then we get in and I turn the key. And nothing happened.

We got out and saw that one of the battery cables was loose. So I get a wrench and start to tighten it and the whole damned thing fell off! I guess the connection or plates or whatever were old and just fell apart whenever the battery shifted (when I braked for the deer).

So we spent all day yesterday, calling people and trying to get someone to come out and help us. She found a ride to the doctor’s, thank goodness, and I watched her kid, and now I’m feeling a little run-down... but I’ll be fine. Still, at least three different people were supposed to have come by yesterday, so I had to stay offline all day so they could call... and they did - every one of them called - late, late last night to say they couldn’t make it. Shocker!

So I didn’t get anything done yesterday, at all. Damn near missed Hex, too! But it will all work out. It has to, because I’m about out of cigarettes and that’s not going to fly. But I’m not staying offline all day, waiting for these cats to call at the last minute; they’ll either come by or they won’t.

Of course, then they’ll say, “I called and called, but the line was busy!”

Pfffft.

No comments: