https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Happy Birthday, Airplane!

Surely you've seen Airplane!, the classic comedy from the Brothers Zucker and Jim Abrahams? You have, and don't call you Shirley. Yeah, you have. Well, it was 30 years old July 2nd, 2010. I know I missed it, but I have to admit, with a calendar add-on in both my browser and e-mail programs, as well as one on the wall in front of my computer desk, and one downstairs on the wall you see literally as you walk down the stairs, the 4th of July holiday literally snuck-up on me, so I completely missed this, too. Still, Airplane! was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and remains a classic to this day.

As you have probably heard by now, Airplane! almost didn't get made, as the studio heads considered it "tasteless" and the stars of the film, whose deadpan delivery made the movie what it is, were afraid appearing in a zany, screwball comedy with such lowbrow jokes would harm their careers. In the end, everyone got... on-board (ahem) and Airplane! made movie history, launching the careers of the creators and developing a new genre.

© C Harris Lynn, 2010

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: