https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Friday, September 23, 2011

At-Home Con, Post 3

I told you I'd be talking about At-Home Con until it was done. I'll be talking about it after it's over, as well! But eventually, I'll move-on to talking about other things; it's just the most exciting thing in my world right now and the main thing I'm working on (aside from a handful of interviews with some greats in nerd entertainment).

The first thing I did was finalize the menu, and I even got some of the shopping for it done, though it will be the day of the Con when I do the majority of it. It will be a lot of cooking, but only as much as one might normally do with regular company. I'm making three large meals and stocking-up on snacks. I'll have Ro-Tel dip, but most of the other snack foods will be purchased stuff - mini-candybars, popcorn, and the like.

I have since moved-on to the games themselves. The first is an adventure for Dark Conspiracy that used to be online (in a poor form). I found all of the original notes, which were most cleverly contained in a single notebook (something I should do more often). It's a very good adventure actually, and one I may still publish one of these days. It's on my To-Do List anyway. But this is a session game: four hours is all we need to finish it completely and there is only the most general denouement for the end.

Of course, if we enjoy ourselves that much, we may keep playing well into the night, but I chose Dark Conspiracy as the opener because the adventure is so strong. Also because it is perfect for a nighttime game, and none of the attendees are familiar with it. I'm hoping this makes a good opener and gets everyone in the mood for a weekend full of gaming.

After that, I'm getting back to the AD&D game we were playing online until we couldn't get our scheduling to work-out due to everyone going back to school and all. This is a campaign situation and I mean to continue approaching it as such. I have the beginnings of an adventure already worked-out, but not all of the details I need for it. My plan is to finalize this specific adventure but leave plenty of room for further game advancement.

Although the attendees have suggested we continue playing throughout the night, I don't know how that will go. Switching from a sci-fi/fantasy game with a Post-Apocalyptic setting to a straight fantasy game filled with dungeons and dragons is a bit of a stretch, too. My schedule has it set for Saturday afternoon - first game of the Big Gaming day.

After that, we have a bit of a toss-up, as I can't quite make up my mind as to which I want to play. ChiLL is the forerunner (and I have more great news on that front soon), but this could be the only chance I have to play Cyberpunk for the immediate time-being, so I'm wrestling with the whole thing. I also have an entire basement full of tabletop RPG, wargames, boardgames, and more, so we may just grab something with clear rules and a board and kick back with some movies and drinks. I'm not sure yet.

More to come as things develop, but there is a hell of a lot of cleaning left to be done, despite the dents I made the past week.

© C Harris Lynn, 2011

No comments: