https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Friday, March 23, 2007

Modem Update

So I drove into town and picked up the only modem they had yesterday. Got it home, popped it in, and laid the CD in the tray. I followed the directions explicitly and it came up and said the driver was not digitally signed. I called the company - long-distance, I'll add! - and they placed me on hold for like 5 minutes - at my expense, I might add! - then got my information and told me the disc that came with the modem is incompatible with SP2. Like anyone hasn't installed SP2 on their system in the last four years... Well, I actually do know some holdouts, but they have more than one system, so they made that choice on one of them, then installed it on the others (either that or they had software that was also incompatible and decided against it - I know one - ONE - guy like that).

Anyway, I get up this morning to come to the library to use the computer and my car wouldn't start. I open the hood and the battery has apparently jarred so much that the cable snapped - not got loose - SNAPPED! So my neighbor offered to go get an extension for it for me, but then went back to sleep. I go on and walk up to the library at 9:00, only to get here and find out they've changed their hours and don't open until 10! So I walked all the way back home, then turned around and walked back up here a few minutes ago.

Basically, all-in-all, this modem has so far cost me about $50.00 in money and time, not to mention that I haven't been able to blog and so on all week, so there's no real telling just how much money I've lost out on.

Oh, and the company that told me the right drivers would arrive within 5-10 minutes after I hung up apparently never sent them. So I'm probably going to end up having to make yet another LD call once I get the 98 box back from my dad, who borrowed it because he couldn't get an old CD to work on any of his computers...

Ah, home computing... remember when all you had to do was plug the thing in and...

Shit, who are we kidding?

No comments: