https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Friday, May 25, 2007

Memorial Weekend Rundown, 2007 - Star Wars, Heinlein, Dylan, Manson, more



There's a hell of a lot going on this Memorial Day Weekend, including a lot of Star Wars stuff. I said the other day that I didn't know why the BBC had been doing so many Star Wars-related articles this month, without realizing that this is the 30th anniversary of the franchise. No telling how many times I'd heard it, for some reason (no good one), it just didn't "sink in."

Regardless, please make sure to remove all metal items as we Rundown your weekend in alternative entertainment and pop-culture:
  • The mayor of Los Angeles declared today "Star Wars Day" in LA.
  • The US Post Office unveiled a series of Star Wars-themed stamps. Jar-Jar is not featured on any of the stamps.
  • All six Star Wars films were shown in order at the LA Convention Center this week and the Star Wars IV celebration will continue through the weekend.
  • Cable network, G4, has a live special tonight which starts at 6:00 PM, CST, on the Star Wars phenomenon, entitled, Star Wars at 30.
  • Lucasfilms estimates 1 billion people have seen Star Wars.
  • French psychologists diagnosed Darth Vader with Borderline Personality Disorder. The most interesting reason included in their analysis was that he changed his name.
  • Charlie Manson was denied parole for the 14th time. Um, duh?
  • Bob Dylan turned 66. He sounds much the same as he did when he was 26.
  • The Robert A. Heinlein Centennial celebration will be held in Kansas City, MO, on July 7th, 2007. Guests include Buzz Aldrin and Sir Arthur C. Clarke.
And that's your Memorial Weekend, Star Wars-centric Rundown for 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Star Wars turning 30 makes me feel VERY old. I remember when it came out in the theaters.

I think I just felt another grey hair come in. Damn!

Manodogs said...

Heh. I know. Hell, I've been hearing about it for like 2 weeks now and I forgot! That makes me feel old!

Star Wars and Jaws were two of my favorite movies growing up.