https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Very Best of KISS - Product Review

I'm 32 years old. I was born in 1974; that's the year KISS released their first, self-titled, album. By 1978, that album was in constant rotation on my dad's phonograph. The very first two albums I ever heard - or at least can remember - and listened to on a regular basis were KISS: Kiss and The Beatles: White Album. The very first song I learned to play on the trapkit was Cold Gin. I had nearly every single KISS album ever released up to Animalize. After that, my tastes turned a shade darker (Slayer, Metallica, etc.) and KISS turned decidedly more pop than rock. Still, my collection is all vinyl and I do not have a phonograph.

The other day, I suddenly got a snippet of a song in my head and couldn't shake it: "How does it feel to find out your failing your test-test-test? HOW DOES IT FEEL!?" Heh. I had to hear that song. So, last night, I carried myself down to the local Wal-Mart and picked up The Very Best of KISS- hand-crafted by Chinese babies, like all quality Wal-Mart products.

While it's not a bad bargain, for a "Best Of" album, there are some glaring exclusions, such as 100,000 Years, Making Love, and She. There are some interesting obscure titles included which I appreciate, including Got to Choose and Back in the New York Groove (the latter from Frehley's solo album). Sometime ago, Gene Simmons publicly said what I had been saying for years, which was something to the effect of how everyone always talks about KISS' stage show and the theatrics they brought to rock n roll, but few talk about their music. And their music rocks. I didn't see KISS perform live until I was about 10 years old, but I played the living hell out of every one of their albums I owned until I was at least 12 or 13; it wasn't their performance which I love - even though they literally are the best stage show on the planet, bar-none - it was their music.

And KISS' music is still relevant today. While their contributions may often be overlooked, you can't help but hear their riffs and overall style copied in most rock music today, from Foo-Fighters to STP and all points between. While the tracks included do an excellent job of tracing the band's transitions throughout their illustrious career, and the order in which they are placed leads to a definitive and conclusive style true to their accomplishments, the only obscure track which truly fits and brings something new to the album is Back in the New York Groove. Still, I have to admit that they managed to release a collection that defines the group well while still introducing even long-time fans to some of the more obscure B-sides they rocked, such as Christine Sixteen.

The other gripe I have is the lack of printed material. I mean, regardless of what you think of KISS or whether you appreciate their music or their theatrics, KISS completely changed the face of rock n roll, and popular music altogether, and you would expect a little more in the form of supporting content. I will give them that the pictures, layout, and design included are spectacular, just not as much as I'd have expected from such a prolific and historic group.

All in all, while it's a decent property for the serious collector, this is more a starter-CD for the newbie; serious KISS fans would do well to just shell-out the extra bucks and pick up Double Platinum.

1 comment:

Manodogs said...

Here's another review of this product by a more proficient writer, Matt Debenham.