https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Supernatural Origins #2

I told you I was going to let you know what I thought of the Supernatural Origins series once I'd had a chance to check it out. Now so far, I have only gotten the second issue, so this isn't a real review, but it is a pretty good idea of my first real impressions.

And, I'm really sorry to say, I'm not too impressed.

The art looks at first to be highly stylized, but the further you get into it, it just starts looking lazy and not very good. It's crude and looks hastily-drawn. Further, it shows a real lack of vision. It literally looks like it was done from a full-script by a freelancer who needed the gig, but I don't know the methods of production.

The story, likewise, seems stilted and very boxed-in - again, it reads like it was written for a "corporate gig." It's better than the art, and I was particularly impressed with the overall handling of Dean by the entire team - both the writing and the art - but I really think this one falls solidly into the "sour and dour" category, which is a shame, because the series is so much (F-U-N).

As much as I love the show, I can't recommend this one, but it's got a few more issues to go, so I'll let you know how it turns out overall.

No comments: