Banner: Shi - Available @ DriveThruComics.com

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Harder Than Chinese Algebra

You’re gonna love this one:

So I spent literally the entire night trying to put XP or SUSE Linux 10.0 on this stupid computer and never got either to take. HOURS! They would go and go and go, format this partition, delete that MBR - nothing. So I finally did something (no idea what) and up popped a whole list of programs and files I’d never heard of.

They were in Chinese.

I could pull up several Chinese programs, no problem. Couldn’t read them, didn’t know what they were for, but I think I managed to Hex Edit the MBR they had hidden on the drive down to all zeros, because I went ahead and loaded Linux and used YAST to boot directly into Linux, bypassing whatever other MBR is on the disk.

It started taking right away!

Of course, it’s going to take like 6 hours to load, but hey? In 6 hours, I may actually have a computer that works! May not be able to get online with it just yet, but it does have network support, so maybe I can get online through this one.

I’m still buying a new computer, though. Just can’t afford these 3-day marathon fights.

No comments: