Banner: Shi - Available @ DriveThruComics.com

Monday, February 23, 2009

Ledger Wins Oscar for Joker

So, I guess Heath Ledger did win -- making it only the second posthumous Oscar in history -- and deservedly so, if all are to be believed. I mean, no one can say this was a sympathy vote.

What I found most interesting about this is that Ledger said he studied puppets' movements in preparation for the role -- because the creative origin for the Joker was the movie, The Man Who Laughs, a silent film Bob Kane saw in his youth. In fact, legend has it that Kane used a still photograph of the lead character as the model for his first sketches of the psychotic clown, The Joker.

I wondered if I could say I was familiar with Ledger's catalog. I liked him in 10 Things I Hate About You, but he really just played a "young guy." I also liked him in The Patriot, but the movie itself (though enjoyable) was so full of historical inaccuracies, it made it impossible to judge his performance on its own merits. I have not seen Brokeback Mountain and have no real desire to, though I also have nothing against it (I might watch it one day, I just don't like heavy dramas).

The reason I say all this is to say that I believe we really did lose a great actor. And though his body of work was slim, his Oscar was just and deserved. At least they got one thing right.

© C Harris Lynn, 2009

No comments: