https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Dollhouse Canceled

I'm afraid the time has come, Whedon fans: FOX has officially canceled Dollhouse. While we reported just a short time ago that Dollhouse had been renewed for a second season, more recent word had the network's programming director committing to showing all 13 episodes, but not to another season. Most of us had shortlisted it for cancellation even before then.

I've tried to get into everything of Whedon's since Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it just hasn't happened. It may be that Whedon put his all into Buffy and... just didn't have much else to give? It isn't unusual; many bands have one amazing album, then slide slowly into mediocrity - each successful album having fewer and fewer songs worth hearing. But most of them continue booking gigs and making good money off that first, great album, and few have many regrets. It's very possible Joss Whedon has the opposite problem the writers of Eastwick have. It's happened to much better artists/creators, after all.

Whedon himself didn't seem too surprised to hear the news, posting on his blog that he was "grateful" for the chance to air the series and that he was off to pursue internet ventures and binge drinking.

© C Harris Lynn, 2009

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sort of suspected that was the reason it hadn't been on for the past three weeks. It was kind of surprising that Fox went for the second season after what they did to Firefly a few years back. It wasn't my favourite Joss Whedon work, but I was very curious to know Echo's back story. Maybe he'll turn it into a comic.

Manodogs said...

Actually, I think FOX committed to the second season specifically because of what they'd done with Firefly. Still, I personally didn't find either show held my attention enough that I wanted to "get into" them; they were standard fare as far as watchability, but nothing else.

Dollhouse started off bad, and even FOX knew that; if you recall, they re-edited the first episode and shut down the set, etc., et.al.

Do you collect Buffy? It is actually pretty darned good! I don't think it holds a candle to the series - at least not yet - but I just started my 'scrip, so I'll hold-off on judging it. Anyway, it might be kinda cool if one of the Dolls somehow wound-up in there. Mix things up a bit.