https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Agenda

Sorry, guys. Here's how this breaks down (sorta):

I had company scheduled for the Christmas weekend, but they backed-out, so my folks are coming up instead. This is... well, I love my parents and all, like most everyone, but my mom will be with me for the surgery (two weeks after), so I'm going to get my fill of them this holiday season... like most everyone. I'm trying so hard to get the place clean to whatever extent I can, but it's demoralizing as hell because it will never be clean enough for my mom...

I had already decorated the house for my original company, so that much is done (and it looks okay - I forgot how little Christmas decor I have), and I'd planned on cooking the whole spread. Now that Mom is coming, she's going to cook a lot of it, so that's cool. However, I still had to trek to the store earlier for evaporated milk, and am now putting together my grocery list for tomorrow. It isn't lengthy, mind you, but I also have to find a handful of gifts...

I don't have enough butter to cook anything tonight, so I'm only doing prep (chopping celery and onions, crushing crackers, washing serving dishes, so on), but tomorrow, I will be cooking the cornbread (for the stuffing/dressing). I also have to make two kinds of cookies, a sweet potato pie, a pumpkin pie, sweet corn (add butter, warm), and a cake. I also have to make the frosting for the cake... You know what? No I don't; I'll buy some. I do have to make the pie crusts, though.

Needless to say, it's been busy and it's only going to get busier. But it's a hell of a lot of fun; I don't do anything all year long, other from work, and at the heart of it all, I'm something of a traditions kind of guy. I love celebrating the holidays and I tend to go all-out for them.

I'll be around, it will just be slow like it has been lately. Then I'll be out for at least the first two weeks of January.

© C Harris Lynn, 2009

No comments: