Banner: Shi - Available @ DriveThruComics.com

Friday, June 06, 2008

Whedon's Buffy Philosophy is, Like, So Studied

There is a third Buffy-based academic conference in Little Rock, Arkansas this weekend. What the hell Little Rock and philosophy or education have to do with one another is so far beyond me, I can't even guess, but there it is.

As mentioned, this is apparently the third time such a conference has been held. The three-day conference will be held at the Henderson State University and will examine more than 90 academic papers. According to one of the conference's main people, enough books on Buffy's philosophy surrounding friendship and feminism have been written to fill a 15'-wide bookshelf at the campus.

Whedon's other works will also be discussed, though Buffy will be the focus. Organizers expect about 150 people to attend. Also to be discussed is part of Whedon's lesser-known works: the screenplay for a little movie called Toy Story.

I did not even know Whedon wrote that. While I may not be a big Whedon fan, per se, I am a big animation and movie fan in general and I had no idea as to that. But it's not like I'm a big Toy Story or Pixar guy; I go for the 2-D, hand-drawn stuff.

© C Harris Lynn, 2008

No comments: