Banner: Shi - Available @ DriveThruComics.com

Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Hanker for a Hunk o Horror

I love this time of year. It isn't just because Halloween and Christmas are my favorite holidays, nor because it's my birthday; I just really enjoy the fall weather.

But this time every year, I get a real urge to game. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I grew up with a fall convention we never missed, but whatever it is, I hate being in a place where there are no gamers! And I honestly have just never had a good online gaming experience (though I am open to trying again).

I haven't played Vampire - or any White Wolf game - in years, like more than a decade. I've talked about this before. Part of it has to do with the fact that I was no fan of Anne Rice's work; Romanticized vampires became a real bane to me as a horror writer and GM because everyone had that precept so firmly planted in their minds that it was pointless to try and dissuade them of it. Part of it had to do with the overwhelming popularity of the game and system and the malignant brand loyalty all of Nerdom faces (across the boards - with comics, TV, movies - all of pop-culture). And part of it was because I grew up being the "go-to guy" for horror gaming (Call of Cthulhu, Chill) and suddenly, everyone wanted to play the monsters and they all thought me some dinosaur... and they all suddenly thought they could do better than I (none did, whether or not they could have).

But when I got all those World of Darkness books, I have to admit, my interest was piqued. It's been so long since I even bothered to read them (well, even seen any) and so long since I have been away from those people that a lot of those old issues have scabbed-over, if not completely healed.

So while I have more than I can handle on my plate right this minute, I think I may break-out those WoD books and check them out soon. I know I won't get a chance to actually play, but just checking them out may scratch this perennial itch...

© C Harris Lynn, 2008
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: