Banner: Shi - Available @ DriveThruComics.com

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Working

News-wise, it may be a "slow day," but I am taking today specifically to do technical stuff throughout the site and across the blogs.

The Weirding is comprised largely of blogs run through Blogger (and one WP, but that is about to change), mixed with traditional webpages. It took some time to come to the right conclusions about this and even more time to develop a (somewhat) working model to make this happen.

Early-on (in the planning and development stages), I decided against an actual CMS (Content Management System) as the basis for the site because I am not very familiar with PHP and I did not like the design. Likewise, I decided against all Wiki-type packages (which are really just CMS with more of a focus on user-generated content) for much the same reasons. Also, both were prone to spamming.

My original intent was to do an old-school, HTML-heavy site, but the further into it I got, the more I realized just how much of the content was text (I already knew it was mostly text going-in, I just had to keep all the tables in mind more than anything), which led to my reconsidering a more text-based solution. As Blogger continued to add features I needed into its services and I became more familiar with it, I settled on this approach several months ago.

Then came the customization process for design, branding, and so forth - which is what we went through a few months back. Now I am getting ready to move the site to its final resting place (hopefully) in the next few weeks and am trying to integrate all of these changes into the new system from the outset, so I don't have to keep going through every few months and making these long, involved, technical operations.

I still need guest-bloggers for basically all of the blogs, if anyone is interested. There is no "schedule" or anything to which you must adhere - just post when you feel like it or have something to say - and you are encouraged to liberally link to your own content so we both get something out of it.

If you are interested, please leave a comment and I'll get back to you post-haste!

In the meanwhile, enjoy the archives and PLEASE POST ANY TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES OR ISSUES!

Thanks,
The Management

© C Harris Lynn, 2008

No comments: