Banner: Shi - Available @ DriveThruComics.com

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Technicalese

Man, I love the Olympics! I really do. I've had them on literally since 6:30p last night; I set the programming so it switches to Olympics coverage automatically, whatever station it's on. But that's not why I'm here.

Obviously, The Weirding is still down. I can only hope it will be back up Monday, but it could be several days after that before the DNS propagation completes, meaning there's no telling when it will be back up and running full-force. The only "good" thing about this is that I am forced to spend my time actually working on the site.

I will likely leave the 404 up for a week or so, just because it's easier that way. Once everything is actually working, I can FTP the whole site in an hour or so and we'll be back in business. You'll still be able to access the other blogs and everything, just not the whole site.

I have been working with the tags here most of the day and am really pleased with how they're turning out. Once I get them worked-out suitably, I'm going to play with the search function and create an FAQ telling you how to find exactly what you are looking for using advanced search functions and operations.

It sounds weird, but this is actually how/where/when I flourish: in the midst of chaos. There is a lot of content, there is a little structure, and there is a whole lot of work to do. But I'm not so great at planning and things never work-out exactly the way they're supposed to, no matter how well you plot, and I'm not so great at finishing; I'm best at the initial (layouts, plotting) and middle stages - when most everything is already on the table and at my fingertips. From here, I can simply rearrange things, put them in order, and tweak to my heart's content.

And that's what I'm gonna do.

© C Harris Lynn, 2008

1 comment:

Manodogs said...

Aside from organizing the tags and cleaning-up dead links and attributing them correctly, etc., I am also adding related links to older posts.

For instance, I sometimes drop some pretty good stuff as asides or just as a matter of discussion on tangentially-related posts - like when I gave a brief Rundown on the Silver Surfer in the middle of a post on the Spider-Man 3 trailer, which premiered during a Heroes episode - and they are hard to find once they are done. When I come across some of these things, I've decided to go ahead and trick them out.

I didn't used to do this because I wanted to leave the posts as-is for historical purposes, but The Rundown, like all blogs, is a Living Document, not a static one, so it only makes sense.