https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Heroes Marathon Tonight on Sci-Fi

That's right - the first six episodes of NBC's hit, Heroes, will be shown back-to-back tonight on Sci-Fi, starting at 5:00PM, CST (check local listings).

If you weren't aware (and I'm not sure how that would happen, but just in case), Heroes is one of our favorite shows and by the graces of the gods, has become an actual, bonafide hit. When it first premiered, you might have recalled Mayren and I worrying over how long it would last, but it has not only lasted, it's become one of The Shows to Watch - right up there with Grey's Anatomy and CSI: The Hot Dog Stand Right Around the Corner from the Starbucks -- No, Not That Starbuck's, the Other One. They even parodied it on a promo for Family Guy the other night on FOX. And we couldn't be happier!

When I first gave it a serious review, I noted that I didn't like the dependency on the documentarian, shaky-camera, cinema-veritae-style cinematography. Like I said then, comic books are framed shots, and the technique they were using really distracted from the feel of the whole project. You'll notice that they've changed that completely now and I've often noted some really great composition shots, and even a few noir flares thrown in here and there. Not that anyone from the show has been reading me, mind you, just that it's kind of a no-brainer that if you're going to make a comic book film, it should evoke that comic book sense, and they eventually got it right.

My only gripe now is:

GET TO THE POINT!

For eff's sake, it's been two months now and we just keep skipping from one scene of talking heads to the next. We get the characters; we get what they're doing; we get the plot (what of it we know); now... GET MOVING! I mean, let's see them do something and get the story going!

I know Tim Kring didn't read comic books and I'm extremely impressed with what he's done with this since he didn't, but now that it's up and going, Mr. Kring, you need to go snatch issues like #165-225 of Uncanny X-Men to see how an ensemble comic book cast is done (Claremont).

Then you need to sit down in a well-lit room and read Elektra: Assassin from front to back to see how sequential art is done (Frank Miller, Bill Sienkiewicsz), because that's the best comic book ever written. And, of course, Dark Knight Returns just to see how a comic book is traditionally told (also the best in its field).

1 comment:

IntricateGirl said...

I caught the last part of this last night. Unfortunately, I still haven't seen the first few episodes, so I still feel like I'm missing something.

I'll admit, I'm not quite sold on it yet, but I am definitely interested enough to keep watching.