https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Friday, April 20, 2007

30 Rock vs. Supernatural

So my Thursday night - one of my favorite TV-viewing nights since I was a child - has become a quagmire (giggity!) of frustration and nerves. "What's the hub-bub, bub?" I hear you ask. Well, let me tell you:

Tina Fey is a pretty, and darned fine, writer. She wrote for SNL for many years and became one of their most prominent and long-running news anchors. While she doesn't necessarily write for 30 Rock, she definitely gets in a few of her own lines here and there, and she owns her character. 30 Rock is an ensemble piece though, and Fey is far from the only strong link in the chain; pretty much everyone on the show is brilliant in their own right. Tracey Morgan is especially good in his role as... Tracey Morgan. He was, you know, pretty much born to play that role.

While over to the See-Dubya, we've got Supernatural. Now, I'm something of a late-comer to the series, but I remember a few years back when I was actively playtesting the new Chill 3.0, how everyone was extolling its virtues and comparing it, "This is how Chill should be done!" So I caught a few episodes here and there and I couldn't agree more. Simply a great show that is almost literally based on the Chill rules - right down to the secret organization, Art disciplines, creature weaknesses, just the whole nine.

Earl started off strong but quickly petered-out. It's obvious what happened there: it got an audience and the damned bean-counters made them tone it down and now it's just another safe, PC, "feel-good," wacky, zany sit-com. The Office is good, but I can't help but compare it to the original. I've seen all those episodes at least two or three times, and it's hard to watch it without comparing it in my head. Of course, it has taken on a life of its own and I do enjoy it, but... it's just hard to get the original out of my brain. No matter, cuz I watch Smallville.

So back to the matter at-hand:

30 Rock or Supernatural?

30 Rock won out the past few weeks, since Supernatural was all repeats, but last night was a Supernatural that just rocked! It was pure, 100% Supernatural in the purest sense of the show: it was creepy and dramatic, with just enough comedy at just the right times. It was more light-hearted than most episodes, but still great. So I didn't flip to 30 Rock last night.

But I missed it. I mean, Supernatural was fantastic and I'm glad I saw it, but I clicked over real quick, hoping to catch just the end of 30 Rock (I didn't).

Now do you see my dilemma? O, HATED FOE! WHY MUST YOU VEX ME?!

(Don't even mention TiVo to me! I already pay $70/month on cable!)

No comments: