https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Advance Reviews

Well, Marvel did send me several pages from the new Power Pack mini-series we just sent out the press release for. Unfortunately, they are so small that the text is illegible! There's no way to see it at the regular size and it blurs when you zoom... so, I won't be able to say much about it other than that the artwork is nice. It's the same as in the other mini-series and has that playful, cartoon appearance that belies its complexity.

One other thing I want to draw your attention to with the art in these books is the backgrounds; backgrounds are very hard to draw well in sequential art - speaking from experience and my own inability to do so well - and so a lot of artists cheese past it. Again, I'm not knocking them - I do the same; you play to your strengths and minimize your weaknesses and it's always better to have your characters "floating" in a blank panel than set them in front of a truly awful background that draws the viewer's attention away from the action. But the art in all of the Power Pack minis has had great backgrounds! I have been awed time and again by the depth, detail, and precision with which the backgrounds have been rendered in these series of minis and wanted to point that out.

With that out of the way, I am going to review Image's soon-to-be-released Gemini #1.

© C Harris Lynn, 2008

No comments: