https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Sword #12 - Advance Review

[SPOILERS]

It cannot be said that I am a Luna Brothers "fan." In fact, until news of their sudden split from Marvel Comics a while back, I had never heard of them. Of course, it also cannot be said that I have anything against the Luna Brothers; again, I was unaware of them.

When I received this advance copy of The Sword #12 - available in stores everywhere tomorrow (or tonight, depending on where you are and whether or not you're on good terms with your comics shop owner) a few days back, I immediately flipped through it, but did not read it (I have been sickly as late). Still, I could see that I did not like the artwork.

However, after reading The Sword #12, I must admit the art not only blends seamlessly with the storytelling, it somehow enhances it. However, it is still stiff and somewhat inferior work. In particular, it fails at facial expressions and is overall staid. There is also a glaring lack of background work, though the setting in this particular issue renders that subject moot and I cannot speak for their other work. But it sticks closely to traditional sequential form and the story is not at all impeded.

The Sword #12 is the final issue in the series' current arc, tying-up loose ends while setting the audience up for the next chapter in Dara Brighton's campaign to find and punish the superbeings responsible for her sister's death. As such, there is the obligatory climactic battle - and it is pretty climactic! The pacing here is swift and furious, but satisfying - no long soliloquies, though there is a cinematic, final exchange. There is also a little explanation along the way, serving well to catch us all up on what is going on and what this all means in context to the larger story. Better still, there is some actual denouement (an important step so rarely included these days) and the end leaves us well - it is both a cliffhanger and a finale of sorts, pleasing both casual and regular readers and enticing all to catch the next issue.

All in all, aside from the art, The Sword is definitely a good read... one I may even consider picking up on my own after this!

Recommended!

© C Harris Lynn, 2008

No comments: