https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Suffocation on History Channel!

Yes, I am a huge death metal geek, and yes, Suffocation is far and away the best death metal band that has ever, or likely will ever, be. And, yes, their latest album is a killer!

But I never thought I'd see them on a commercial! Much less one for the History Channel! Yet, that is Suffocation (the music, anyway -- the musicians aren't shown long enough or close enough for me to make an absolute identification) on History Channel's commercial for their March 4th special, Dark Ages.

Do I consider this "selling out?" Not even close. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them appearing on a commercial, specifically not one for such a prestigious and important network. Selling-out has to do with... Metallica is a bunch of sell-outs. When you change everything about who you are and what you do in order to make a little more money, you are selling-out; if you are able to make money doing what you do the way you do it, you're capitalizing on your abilities. There's a huge difference.

The song is from their new album which, if you haven't heard it, is easily their best since their seminal debut. Though I've already reviewed this album on the old entertainment blog, I'm in the process of pulling that down, so I may re-review it at a later date. At any rate, I can tell you that this is the best album you can buy at this point in your life. There's simply nothing else like it anywhere and if you are into death metal, it's far and away the best and most important album within that genre to come out in over 10 years.

And it's great to see the genre finally getting its due!

No comments: