https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Monday, September 03, 2007

MANOdogS: The Knees of Fate

If you haven't seen MST3K's classic send-up of Manos: The Hands of Fate, you might not recognize the title, so I'll fill you in a little:

In the movie, there is a character named Torgo who is supposed to be a kind of "monster" sidekick to the title character, Manos. The only thing that really makes him a "monster" is that he has really huge knees. Joel and the bots do an entire segment on it, in fact. Really, that's all that makes him "monsterific" or whatever. In fact, when they do close-ups, you can tell the guy is actually quite handsome in that Tom Cruise sort of way (I don't know if he's gay - not in that way - he just sort of resembles Tom Cruise).

Well, I have something with my knees. Yes, they are knobby jobs, but that has more to do with the fact that I have matchstick chicken legs than anything else. But I have a tendency of banging - no, slamming, slamming - them into damn near everything both in, and outside of, this house. I don't have to be drinking, I don't have to be sleepy, it doesn't have to be dark; I slam one or more of my knees into something at least once a day.

My car had some kind of wiring problem with the lights and since it's foreign-made, it was going to cost hundreds of dollars to fix it. A friend of my dad's said not to pay it; he rigged-up a toggle switch and ran new wires down through the door into the trunk. Fixed it just fine and cost me like $50, all told. My knee broke the toggle switch, so now I can't drive after dark or when it's raining.

At least 2-3 times a week, I get up from this chair and slam my knee into the desk. At least as often, my knee runs into the coffee table. Last night, I turned off the hallway light and turned around to go into the bathroom and slammed my knee on the door frame. I wasn't drinking and I was wide awake! It was a little dark, but I had just turned off the light, so my eyes hadn't even had time to adjust to the darkness - I was still "light"-eyed.

I have a small apartment, I have a compact car, but for eff's sake! I'm only 5'8 and like $1.25 soaking wet! I mean, I'm a little guy! There's no sense in all this knee-banging. And it's the same knee every time, too! It's always my right knee, never the left one. Why? I mean, just why?

No comments: