https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

America's Got Talent - A Review

I know I've blathered a lot today, but I had a hangover yesterday and bookmarked a lot of stuff to get to later... it just took me until today to get to them.

Anyway, tonight was the premiere of NBC's America's Got Talent, the return of what they billed as "the most-watched show of last summer." Now, I don't know about all that, but I do like this show for one reason: this is actual reality TV. There are no silly houses or lame competitions or scavenger hunts.

This is an actual talent show just like you'd see in any community center or theater across the country. And yes, it is a competition, but it's an honest, straightforward one where the contestants are judged on the merits of whatever talent(s) they present on the show - not on whether or not they were the first to find a speed limit sign with an odd number or something goofy like that.

That being said, it is one of those shows that also makes my skin crawl from time to time. I mean, some of the people who get up there just embarrass themselves - and me! - they make me embarrassed for them! Still, I like the idea that the contestants are actually being judged on their actual talent, instead of being corralled into some sort of fake-assed competition and a bunch of obviously set-up scenes and so forth.

No comments: