Banner: Shi - Available @ DriveThruComics.com

Thursday, August 09, 2007

It's Been Settled


The Weirding is moving and will have a new IP Address toward the first of next month (September). This was reported earlier and has since been confirmed. In fact, the deal has already been made; it was settled just today.

While I hate to keep starting and stopping so much lately, the first of the month is bill time, then I had an ungrateful neighbor I have been taxiing around for weeks now, and I knew this renewal was coming, so I have been very busy as late. My attentions will be focused specifically on this over the next several weeks and getting the site ready for it. I have a lot of the "new" content more or less ready to go, so a lot of it will be uploaded all at once. Further, I may abandon the whole quarterly issue concept I'd started out with in favor of a more traditional approach - that of just uploading entire new departments and features as they become available.

I am also going to have the overall skeleton in place before any of the new content is put up (which means a lot of the content available right now is going to be down for a bit, as well - you should still be able to it through Google:cache and I'll have it up before that gets cleared, so there should be no real interruption of service or availability). One of the most important functions of the site - key in its design - is to be an intuitively cross-referenced index of indeces, as I've discussed before. If this doesn't make sense to you, the simplest way to put it is that you are going to be able to find literally anything on the site by following logical links to anything you need. When fully operational, you will never be more than 2-3 clicks away from whatever you are looking for, no matter the trail you take or in which your research efforts lead you.

The design will remain the same: Art Deco Minimalism, and for the same reasons. In fact, the general artistic layout is not going to change much, if at all. One thing I am going to try and do is maximize ad placement. This means there will be more ads on each page, but also that there will be more links and shortcuts for easier navigation. Basically, I'm going to make better use of my real estate without sacrificing the clean, Minimalist approach.

Also, I'm going to do much more careful planning and set deadlines for specific projects, so there may still be some sort of ongoing calendar as to when you can expect this or that, just not a quarterly "magazine" with a little bit of everything. Or maybe I will stick to the old concept - just not sure yet.

Still, things may be a little strained here and there the next few weeks (which I'm sure we've gotten used to lately) and some features may not be available momentarily (The Speakeasy is one that concerns me most, presently), but they will either return soon or simply take on a new form. Sadly, since the forums did not take off as quickly or fervently as I had hoped, if I can't get The Speakeasy back easily, that will be put on the backburner for now.

More information as it becomes available and thanks again for your support!

In the meantime, don't forget to vote for us! Hit the button at the bottom of the sidebar and let us know how much you like us! Thanks!

No comments: