https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Kid at Christmas

Sorry you guys! I am trying to get some stuff out to you here and there, and I absolutely must get something posted over to The OddBlog the next few days because there has been a lot of good stories I wanted to discuss over the past week and I've yet to do so, but I am like a kid at Christmas - which makes perfect sense, seeing as how I'm like 105-lbs. soaking wet and it's Christmas.

Really, although I played The Sims for a few hours last night (first time I've played that game in years!), I have mainly been doing maintenance and familiarizing myself with the new OS. I spent most of today installing programs (and finding out just how many have compatibility issues - a lot, actually), fonts, and so forth.

Speaking of which, I spent approximately an hour and a half with the damned fonts! I had archived most of them, so I had to individually select each one, extract the font, then install it. There was no way to select them all and "Extract Here." In fact, there was no "Extract Here" function, so everytime I extracted a file, I had to manually change the path. I'm going to try and install one of my archivers (WinRAR or WinZip), but I don't know that either will be compatible with this version and I am not going to re-register (I think WinZip is a lifetime registration, but I don't remember now, and I really don't know where in the world my registration number is).

Anyway, I know things have been slow as hell around here since Google slapped us around with their corporate Johnson like the whores we are, but it really has only a little to do with that. I don't want you to think we're throwing in the towel and bowing down to such corruption - far from it; all the computer problems I was having with the old XP machine (before it went out) were nothing compared to all the issues I had with the 98 box (the computer itself works fine - the Web rejected the poor guy, based on its OS), and while all that is behind us now, Vista comes with a learning curve that's going to take a minute. In fact, once things get up and going, I am getting right back to removing all the PPP badges and banners, etc., and then moving the blog onto the site domain.

I've even been playing around with alternative blogging software (shh!) - scripts, actually. Seeing as how Goober - er, Google - deleted us from their search results in addition to unjustly discriminating against us PR-wise, I no longer feel comfortable using any of their services. In fact, my PC came pre-bundled with a host of Goober - er, Google - software (Google Desktop, Tools, etc.) and I just removed them from the Startup and haven't registered them or anything. I plan to delete them and remove them from the system entirely in time, but I don't want to do anything that can't be undone before I know exactly what I am doing.

I am actually working, but you can call it "playing" on the computer if you like, because I am having a whole lot of fun! I have never had so much hard drive space to play with in my life! I have loaded like all of my music library on here - like all of it! - The Sims... I don't even know wtf some of the files I loaded on here are! I went on and copied them from CD just to find out... and it blows my mind to think that I don't have to delete them if I don't want to - I can just leave them there! I mean, it's not like I'm going to run out of room anytime soon.

No comments: