https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Sunday, January 20, 2008

New ATHF & Squidbillies - A Review

Well... let's talk about the good stuff first.

And with that out of the way, let's look at the bad:

The new seasons of [adult swim]'s Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Squidbillies premiered just a few minutes ago and I could have jumped up and set about reviewing them immediately, but I really had to wait. I started to wait until I see the replay, but I honestly don't think I'm going to make it; they just weren't good enough to stay up for twice.

Squidbillies is still fairly consistent - it never makes much sense and relies on non-linear progression, but it generally makes you laugh at least once, and it's usually a pretty good laugh. ATHF, on the other hand...

Aqua Teen Hunger Force has literally been a semi-underground pop-culture phenomenon for going on six years now (I know - I didn't realize it had been that long, either!), but it completely jumped the shark last season and, if this premiere is any indication, it has yet to find its way back. I think we may just have to accept that not being funny is part of ATHF's neuvo "allure." ATHF has gone completely Adam Sandler, where it doesn't even bother to try and be funny - it just tries to be pointless and stupid in the hopes that the audience will giggle because we don't know what else to do.

Like I said, I started to wait for the replay to see if maybe I missed something, but the first go-round was like taking a Sominex with a shot of vodka - it didn't quite kill me, but I'm mighty drowsy...

© C Harris Lynn, 2008

No comments: