Banner: Shi - Available @ DriveThruComics.com

Friday, April 18, 2008

Timing

I know my timing has been off these past few weeks - I get a string of content out to you early in the day, then suddenly stop; I usually try to space things out pretty evenly throughout the day. But my neck has been bothering me this week, along with my wrist. I have some kind of bone-spur or something that only swells-up occasionally and it's been there for going on two weeks now. First time I've seen it in about a year (and I could easily go another year without seeing it again) and it hasn't subsided yet. Incredibly painful.

I was awakened at 4:38 this morning by the earthquake, which was so strong, it shook the entire building for several seconds! It startled me awake and confused me slightly, but it didn't scare me that bad. I mean, awakening with such a start frightened me a bit, but I realized what was happening almost immediately and somehow instinctively knew it wasn't going to get any worse than it was, but it did seem like it shook the whole building for a very long time! Like I said over to The OddBlog, the reverberation of the building and my neighbor's satellite radio antenna scared me more than the actual quake, itself.

I didn't know a quake from Illinois would reach this far, because if it had been much stronger, it would have caused some pretty significant damage! What really got me was how, like... far things shook. It wasn't like a "trembling" or anything - I wouldn't even call it "shaking" - it was more like the entire building swayed dramatically back and forth for several seconds. Several seconds longer than I would have expected, too. And I (of course) recorded the time and we felt the quake a full minute after reports say it hit.

The most frightening thing about this is that the fault they believe caused the quake is actually an extension of the one I live on!!! But there were two reported aftershocks already, so we should be safe. Plus, I've always heard that these minor quakes (well, this one was pretty major, but still not massive and thankfully caused almost no damage) are good because they release some of the tension that can build up to cause major earthquakes, so there's that.

Of course, no one knows much about earthquakes or how to predict them, so I'm still a little - pun not intended - shaken by the event.

Anyway, everyone's either setting-up at or on their way to the New York Comic-Con today, so maybe I'll finally get around to those reviews. We'll see how everything plays out.

© C Harris Lynn, 2008

No comments: