https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Monday, August 04, 2008

The Weirding Update

I know this doesn't matter much for those of you who come straight here because The Rundown is not run directly from The Weirding servers, but if you care, I just wanted to update y'all on what's going down:

Most of the general technical stuff has been handled on this end. Now it is a waiting game, as a lot of this stuff takes several days to update across all the servers in the Inter-Web.

Now, I realize The Weirding just came online two years ago and in that time, it has already moved twice, but (God willing!!!!), I believe we have finally found a reliable home this go-round. At any rate, it is guaranteed to be at its new home for at least the next two years, which gives me plenty of time - even at my glacial pace - to get stuff done. As a one-man operation, spending time in one place means less time for the rest, which means things will have to be taken in shifts.

I've spent a whole lot of time on the blogs these last two years and almost none on the departments and features of the site. The main reason for this is to boost content; by this point, no matter how or why you land at The Weirding, you are guaranteed to find something and then a whole, whole lot more. This should keep new visitors busy, as well as (hopefully) keep you all coming back - after all, if you haven't read/seen/heard/experienced it yet, it's still new to you. This is one of the reasons I have been spending so much time working the tags (to the right there).

Much of the site is comprised of blogs. If you consider that each post is an individual page, you realize there are thousands of pages of content on The Weirding. There is far more to see, read, and do here than any one person could ever possibly get to in an entire week... the problem is finding it. So all the work on the tags and the emerging FAQs and all of that are to facilitate this.

Organization is key to the site, as it contains a lot of information that those interested in (gamers, creators, etc.) will sometimes need to find quickly. That's why a lot of times, I will say I am working and there's really nothing to "show" for it. Now that the larger structure and a lot of content is available to work with, I will be spending more time organizing everything for smoother navigation and the like.

Regular readers have heard all this many, many times before.

Anyway, I'm sure there's more to come today, just wanted to let you know how busy my day has been so far. Now I have to wash dishes!

© C Harris Lynn, 2008

No comments: