https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

This is a conflicted post, so I am not going to bother with a bunch of preambling or excuses, but seeing as how this blog does focus on Americana, I suppose something should be said of the seventh anniversary of 9/11. The truth of the matter is that I was as shocked and moved by the events of 9/11 as anyone else, but in the seven years since then, I have moved on.

Granted, I did not personally lose anyone and that obviously has a lot to do with it, but from that standpoint, neither did the majority of us! While I am not without sympathy for those who were personally affected, I am starting to think of 9/11 much the same way I think of any other major tragedy - Hurricane Katrina, the recent flooding in the Midwest, Africans dying of AIDS, etc. That is to say, while I am not uncaring, there's absolutely nothing I can do about it - nor, apparently, anything anyone else can either - so I'm starting to feel a bit cynical about the whole thing.

We know a lot more now than we did immediately following 9/11, yet we haven't changed a single thing about our approach toward, or handling of, the matter! I personally think the entire thing is being kept fresh in our collective mind for political reasons. That makes me sick.

Am I alone in this?

© C Harris Lynn, 2008

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well , it was really very very bad memory.