https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Kinda Busy Weekend

Well, I got the Vista box running - which is a good thing - but at the cost of basically every damned device in it. First, I had to remove the modem, which was fried; then I had to detach the CD-RW, which was apparently also fried; and device manager indicates it cannot find the network card. All in all, it appears all the expansion slots and hardware was fried. But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, seeing as how the computer itself still works... I'm screwed because I can neither network it to move data and files to another computer, nor burn what I want to keep to CD. And I do not have $70 plus the cost of whatever needs to be replaced, so I can't take it anywhere right this minute. I don't know what to do, but at least I can access the files and listen to music and so forth.

I'm going ahead with the big roll-out this month and have been working on that lately (that's part of the reason last week was so slow), but there is a lot of stuff on the Vista box that I simply cannot get to you by then, and don't know when I'll be able to publish it at all. It's just too much for me to completely retype and reformat on this box; it will just have to wait.

This is the problem with being poor. I can take living on peanut butter and crackers for a few days now and again, running out of coffee and/or sugar all too frequently, going for a day or two without smokes, et.al.; those things are inconvenient and can be handled. It's the fact that any, little mishap generally becomes a full-blown ordeal. Too few people truly understand that; that is the greatest misunderstanding when it comes to the poor. Fixing my computer might cost as little as $75-100 or it might be as much as $250-300, but it doesn't really matter, because I have neither! This is how a "simple" problem has crippled me for going on four months now!

Anyway, I've been catching-up on my reading this weekend more than anything else. In particular, I'm reading Daredevil and plan to start on Thor next. I devoured The Uncanny X-Men the last time I pulled-out the collection. I'm also steadily adding to my inventory on Comic Book Realm and hope you'll join me there - just send a friend request and I'll add you!

© C Harris Lynn, 2009

No comments: