https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Working on New Mail System

Let me apologize to everyone; we are working on establishing a system for collaboration, and e-mail is an important part of that system. Needless to say, The Weirding does not have the thousands of dollars it would cost to supply everyone with MS Office, and we wouldn't use it anyway unless it were free/shareware. Most of the site and blogs have been created using free/share -ware and we aren't going to turn our backs on that; we feel it's important to support independent creators and programmers, like ourselves. We may eventually breakdown and use Google's utilities, but regular readers already know how I feel about Google -- they have continually abused this blog, and this blogger, and I'm not willing to get re-involved with them (I know Blogger is also owned by Google, but shit... what isn't?).

Anyway, we are testing a program called Zimbra Desktop, chosen for its many collaborative features, including shared calendar. I'll eventually review it on The Cyberculturalist, but it bears mentioning here because I screwed-up a setting which told Zimbra to download all the messages and remove them from the server, meaning it deleted all the messages from the old e-mail program, which I am still using while I test-drive Zimbra. Because it is vastly different from Thunderbird, I'm having a heck of a time relocating the ones I need.

Anyway, we'll get things back to "normal" eventually, but we missed some press releases and e-mails along the way which I am just now finding -- some of which go all the way back to May! I must have had something set wrong in Tbird, so I guess it's a mixed blessing, but we'll get things straightened-out eventually, and once we get a collaborative system down pat, we'll be able to bring you a lot more original content, as well as stay on top of everything else!

© C Harris Lynn, 2010

No comments: