Banner: Shi - Available @ DriveThruComics.com

Monday, June 27, 2011

Storming

It has literally stormed its ass off up here for months now. I have been taking it easy on posting for personal reasons, but the power was off for three days straight a month or two back, then another two days straight like a week later.

Despite unplugging the computer when it storms, I still lost the new one to yet another lightning strike last Saturday and it was Wednesday before I got the refurbished model I'm on now. Honestly, I've lost literally two-three full work weeks to weather alone, just since April!

In fact, it has been storming here since last Friday, though Saturday was the worst of it (so far). It's mostly just been rain since then. That one was a creeper, in that it really was just rain and a little thunder, and didn't appear to be anything to worry about, then lightning just struck some key areas -- just out of nowhere, and there were only a handful of strikes -- that knocked-out phonelines, Internet, and power to people all over the area for several days. It really was like the storm knew to lay low up to the very last minute, then exactly where to strike to cause the most damage.

And, just as soon as it had caused as much damage as it could throughout the area, it was gone. It really was kind of eerie.

At any rate, it took me several days to get this computer up and going. I had to download basically everything, from Adobe to Firefox Plug-Ins and Updates, but it's finally starting to come together now. I also moved it into another room and am using yet another phonejack. The only problem is that the only phonejacks that work in this house are on exterior walls and it costs about $60.00 to have them come out and install another one, so I'm still going to have to unplug the PC whenever it storms.

And it's still raining -- in fact, it forecasts strong storms today through Tuesday, then after a brief respite, storms start back up next Sunday! Lately, my computer's been unplugged more than it's been running, yet I still managed to lose another one.

For those keeping score, that's three -- brand new -- computers I've lost since moving to this house two years ago!

© C Harris Lynn, 2011

No comments: