https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Dark Knight Shooting

As all of you are surely aware, someone killed about 50 people at an Aurora, Colorado theater screening of The Dark Knight Rises over the weekend. I would love to say something about this, but details are still emerging and can be found across the Web as well as through traditional media outlets.

Kevin Smith's Hulu show, Spoilers, addressed the issue in its latest episode, and I'm sure many blogs on comic books and related hobbies have also done the same, but I have no idea what to think right now. Obviously I'm moved by the event, but if the guy is truly insane, then there really is no one to blame - he has no control of his own actions and needs help. Of course, when in the throes of such a horrible thing, people do not want to hear that; they need to blame someone/something, they need to put things in a tidy pile to bring order back to their worlds.

I understand this and do not want to upset anyone any further, but I've been very clear as to my position on mental illness - I covered the shooting at Virginia Tech in some detail and made the same points about mental illness in those posts. I may have more to say on this terrible tragedy as details emerge, but for now I'm just going to let the people involved do their jobs and the victims try to come to terms with this horrible, inexplicable, and unfair turn of events.

© C Harris Lynn, 2012

No comments: