https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Star Trek 40th Anniversary Celebration on TVLand

I've been meaning to post this for over a week now but never got around to it and now it's almost too late (I may get it in just under the line):

Tonight (by the time you read this) -- Friday, September 8th -- marks the 40th anniversary of Star Trek's premiere. And TVLand is throwing it a celebration before the show begins both airing in November and episodes become available online from the TVLand website.

I have made no secret of the fact that I am no big fan of the original series, though I did enjoy some of the movies. But no geek worth his salt could call himself a geek without having at least a passing familiarity with Star Trek, and I at least have that. I will probably be watching it with all the rest of my friends in Geekdom, simply because there isn't anything else on Fridays -- but what the hey? I've always enjoyed other things the stars have been in and some of the movies were fun. Plus, just when I'd decided to start watching SG-1, they go and cancel it, so there's no sense getting interested this late in the game.

But the coolest thing is just what all TVLand has going on for Star Trek. If you check out their site, you'll see they've got the whole thing covered in spades: interviews, specials, webcasts -- the whole nine. It looks like TVLand is going to be the new home for the classic episodes and they are really making a fanfare.

I had meant to review Shatner's Comedy Central Roast, but was waiting until I'd seen the uncut version and I think I missed it (fret not -- it's only a matter of days before they show it again... probably right after the South Park movie... again). If you get a chance, check it out -- it had its moments.

2 comments:

Mayren said...

*flails her arms* I loved my time with SG-1 and i am an avid SG - Atlantis watcher (though if the normal pattern prevails Atlantis won't have more than 3 seasons before it's cancelled too)

All that to say: ITS NEVER TOO LATE FOR STAREGATE.

Please dearest Manodogs give peace (of mind) a chance and allow yourself to fall deeper into the
ways of the Stargate. Since it's
almost over you now have 10 years of catching up to do. FUN!

--------------------------------

Star Trek TNG was my fave
and then Star Trek: 4 the movie.

I heard about the 40th Celebration
on Kevin & Bean's KROQ show this morning and i'm actually super happy.

Manodogs said...

I actually watched both SGs instead of the ST marathon the other night and really enjoyed them both. If I didn't mention it, I have some of the original ones from Showtime taped, but I just never got into it and didn't try watching it when it moved to Sci-Fi.

I didn't know that Battlestar Galactica was only in its third season (I thought it had been on for a long time, like SG), so I'm going to give it a shot.

I prefer stuff like Eureka. It's sci-fi, it's smart, it's hip, and it's funny. A lot of the others take themselves WAY too seriously.

Thanks for reading!