https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Oh Yeah, Did I Mention Movies? More 300


I guess I left out a few more comics movies earlier, including Captain America and Iron Man. I'd heard about Iron Man - even discussed it a few months back - which will star Robert Downey, Jr. This is pretty cool because Tony Stark had his own struggle with alcoholism in the title. I also like it because Downey is not particularly known for his size or muscularity and Stark, while still a big-pecs superhero figure in the book, is actually a businessman; I think it pretty brilliant casting and I'm eager to see if and how Downey will pull this off.

I hadn't heard about Cap's new flick, but I came across it because he made the entertainment headlines today on his own. Even though they used it to hype the movie, Steve Rogers is dead... again. He got shot to death by an assassin... again. I really hope it doesn't stick... again, because Steve Rogers is Captain America, regardless. Besides, a supersoldier felled by an assassin's bullets is just somehow anticlimactic.

Fans may recall this is exactly what happened to Rogers the last time that he was "killed," back in the late 1980s-early 1990s. During his absence, a black Captain America donned the costume and I have some of those issues, but the entire concept never took off. Unlike Iron Man, Cap himself was superhuman due to a serum the government had injected him with back in WWII; Iron Man's only powers come from his many suits of armor.

So, I thought I could put 300 to bed until Friday (when it's going to just crush the competition and likely continue to do so for weeks on end), and then I flipped over to History Channel to find History in Focus - the focus of which was 300. And it was everything G4's Icons was not. While it focused on the historical aspects of the battle, it went into great depth on the making of the movie; Icons was ostensibly about Miller, and even though it did a moderate job getting into that, it was basically little more than a promo for the movie.

History Channel has another special on 300 tomorrow night, as well. I'm not sure how much it will have about the movie specifically, but... yeah, I'm pretty sure it will have just about everything to do with exactly that. This movie's going to mop up so hard, it should come to my house.

No comments: