https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Friday, July 25, 2008

My Take on Comic-Con 2008

Well, G4's Comic-Con coverage is over. The con runs for nearly a week and tomorrow is really the Big Day, so I'm thinking they're giving the guys the weekend off to enjoy the convention. They got to most of the good stuff - at least everything everyone was really waiting to hear - but still. Like I said earlier, it's good coverage, but it's more efficient than enjoyable.

Much like Comic-Con itself, the whole coverage seems to miss the point completely. I'm not obtuse - I fully realize G4 is there to do what their channel does: cover pop-culture events and news aimed at fanboys - and they did that well (both this year and last), but what kind of fanboy would I be if I didn't reiterate how the whole thing basically violates the very spirit of what a convention is.

Of course, Comic-Con has become a pop-culture event unto itself. As Steve Niles said on the coverage, it's great for the industry and I could not be happier for it on that level, but while I would like to go at least once just to check it out, I really hope the Hollywood around it dies-down before I get the chance; it's not the Comic-Con I grew up dreaming of attending.

If I were there, the truth is that I would most likely be doing exactly what I'm doing this very weekend at home:

Having already made the rounds a few times, I'd be in the hotel room, with the door wide-open. MST3K would be on the TV and the sign on the door would say "Open Gaming." I don't know what I'd be running, but it'd likely be either Chill 3.0 or Dark Conspiracy. Tomorrow, I'd go with something lighter - probably AD&D 2nd-Ed. Again, not to be obtuse, but because it's what I'd really like to play, and I have a good idea a lot of other, die-hard fanboys my age (and/or older) would too.

I'd hit some panels all day Saturday and then Sunday morning would be for the dealers. After clearing them out ("Come on - you're telling me you'd rather pack all this stuff back up and lug it back to the store than let me take it off your hands for the very respectable 25% you're asking?"), it's straight through Artists' Alley for the signatures.

Then I'd load up the car and hit the bar.

Huh? No, I still have the room for one more night and so long as she can get in the bar, I know she's legal.

© C Harris Lynn, 2008

2 comments:

Blogmaster said...

I just finished putting up my review over at Comic Book Secrets. Here it is: San Diego Comic Con Review. If you are going for comics, I think you would be disappointed. I remember going back in 1991-92 and it was a comic book collectors dream. It sure has changed - Sean.

Manodogs said...

I can only imagine... well, seeing the G4 coverage for the last two years, I have a pretty good idea. Like I said, more of a generalized "pop-culture" event now than Comic-Con.

I'll wait.