Banner: Shi - Available @ DriveThruComics.com

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

RIP, John Hughes

Having grown-up in the 1980s, I was as affected by John Hughes' many films as anyone. In fact, The Breakfast Club was my favorite movie from the moment I saw it (shortly after it debuted on video). While I admit it fails to elicit the same systemic response in me it once did, I also graduated highschool some 17 years ago - and the world has changed irrevocably since then. Still, many lines and scenes from almost all of his movies still get me, and I can't turn off a John Hughes movie, no matter how hard I try.

So, if you were wondering why I haven't eulogized the esteemed writer and director - one whose movies truly did "raise" a generation - it's simply because so many others have. Truth be told, for as much as I loved all his movies growing up, and still enjoy them when they are replayed (uncut) today, what do I have to offer aside from the above?

Though Mr. Hughes retired from making movies many years ago (I personally believe it was because he knew the world had changed in such a way as to make his, often tongue-in-cheek, teenage romps irrelevant to newer generations... or maybe just because he had nothing left to say?), his effect will always be felt. And though his movies are much the product of their time, they all contain at least something that speaks to kids, and especially teenagers, of every generation.

© C Harris Lynn, 2009

No comments: