https://www.entertainmentearth.com/pjdoorway.asp?source=pjn&subid={subid}&url=hitlist.asp?theme=Game+of+Thrones

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ledger's Death Not Getting Much Coverage?

Ever since learning about Heath Ledger's death yesterday, I have been flipping channels to hear more about it. But there hasn't been that much!

Immediately following the announcement, Headline News had live coverage outside the apartment (now reported to belong to Ashley Olsen of the Olsen twins), but there wasn't much news. After that, it's almost as if it never happened...

I mean, when Kurt Cobain killed himself, he really wasn't that big a deal. Smells Like Teen Spirit was a hit and the album was popular, but it certainly wasn't the "cultural revolution" the media made it out to be. In fact, me and my friends bypassed the entire "grunge" thing because we were into actual, real heavy metal. I recall how literally everyone was asking me what I thought about his death and so forth and were absolutely shocked when I would respond, "I didn't really listen to them - I'm sorry he's gone, but it has no real effect on me."

Heath Ledger, on the other hand, was an Oscar-nominated actor who had already built a real reputation for himself. He was no one-hit wonder with a drug problem; he was an established performer with an established record who will be starring in one of the most eagerly-anticipated movies of the decade in a few more months. He was no Kurt Cobain.

Then again, it does not appear that he committed suicide, either.

And I think that matters. Had Heath Ledger actually committed suicide (which friends and family stringently deny), I think we'd be watching live coverage right now.

From a cynical perspective, maybe that would make it more newsworthy. I mean, there's a real morality tale: the guy who has everything chucking it all. But isn't it as much a tragedy - even moreso - that such a promising young man accidentally died from what appears to be simple drug-interaction? Yet every few years, we hear all about the anniversary of Cobain's death, while Ledger has already been lumped-in with a half-dozen other up-and-coming Hollywood stars who died under similar circumstances.

© C Harris Lynn, 2008

2 comments:

Manodogs said...

New reports suggest a rolled-up bill, the inside of which was covered with an unknown, powdery substance, was found by the actor's body.

Manodogs said...

Plenty of stars and fans have discussed the actor's passing, many by leaving flowers and other gifts outside the apartment in which his body was found about this time yesterday.

Several actors have spoken to reporters from the Sundance Film Festival.

We are still waiting for autopsy reports to come through, which will be in about 10 days or so. I do not believe it is going to prove that he committed suicide.