Banner: Shi - Available @ DriveThruComics.com

Monday, July 02, 2007

In Cap's Wake

I, like many others, am often hard on the mainstream comics press and the industry in general. They, like any other entertainment producers, are a business and I understand that, but more often than not, this leads to real compromise all the way around. Not just for the artist, but for the fans, as well. A lot of the stuff they crank out month after month is just shit. They don't even refer to them as comics and characters, they're units and properties, and that's how we wind up with the great variety of between, say, Amazing Spider-Man or Spectacular Spider-Man, and X-Men or Uncanny X-Men or Wolverine (guest-starring the X-Men). I mean, it is what it is and I'm certainly not the first to bemoan that fact.

But I read an article the other day discussing the death of Captain America, whom they laid to rest in Arlington Cemetery, and learned something about Jeph Loeb that restored my faith in comics, even when they're at their commercial worst:

I have specifically refrained from discussing the 10 or so spin-off mini-series centered on Cap's death because I found it just flat-out gauche. I mean, it's one thing to profit off an American icon's death (not a real person, mind you, I mean from a comics sense - Captain America is easily one of the most iconic American superheroes), but it's quite another to present us every, single nine-inch nail.

Jeph Loeb's 17-year old son died of cancer.

His way of working through his personal tragedy was to pen these series of books, each dealing with a different aspect of his remorse: Wolvie's book centered on Denial; the Avengers' on anger; and Spidey battled depression.

I haven't read the books, but as a creator myself, I was shocked and saddened by the loss, but absolutely blown-away that Loeb had the presence of mind and stability of faculties to bring such a powerful story into his work without it being maudlin or self-pitying.

Our sincerest condolences go out to Jeph Loeb, his family, and their friends, and I'd like to extend my most heartfelt thanks for bringing all of the rest of us into his personal world at such a candid and painful time.

Kudos to you, Mr. Loeb, and kudos to Marvel, for supporting you.

Maybe all the superheroes in comic books aren't just on the pages.

2 comments:

catlady said...

Damn good post, MD. And I'm really touched and totally impressed with Mr. Loeb's use of his personal angst to create something of value.

Manodogs said...

Isn't that great story? I kind of wish I'd known about this before the whole thing happened because I would have publicized it more, but I also think it would have come across as kind of... I don't know. It really adds to the whole concept though, doesn't it?